ETHICAL & EQUAL OPPORTUNITIES POLICY
Our equal opportunities policy is designed to ensure that, as a minimum, the company complies with its equality obligations under the various pieces of anti-discrimination legislation.
The company recognises the need for communication with employees at every level. All employees can have access to a copy of annual reports which together with staff briefings, internal notice board statements and newsletters, keeps them informed of the company progress. The company actively considers ways to increase further the involvement of employees in the company performance.
It is the policy of Visa Medical Services that there shall be no discrimination or less favourable treatment of employees, workers or job applicants in respect of race, colour, ethnic or national origins, religious beliefs, gender (including gender reassignment), sexual orientation, disability, political beliefs, age, marital or civil partnership status or having or not having dependents.
We are opposed to all forms of unlawful and unfair discrimination. All members of the company will be treated fairly and will not be discriminated against on any of the above grounds. We engage, promote and train staff on the basis of their capabilities, qualifications and experience, without discrimination, giving all employees an equal opportunity to progress within the Company.
We recognise that the provision of equal opportunities in all our activities will benefit the company. Our equal opportunities policy will help employees to develop their full potential and the talents and resources of employees will be utilised fully to maximise the effectiveness of the company.
Full consideration will be given to suitable applications for employment from disabled persons, where they have the necessary abilities and skills for that position, and wherever possible to re-train employees who become disabled, so that they can continue their employment in another position.
Visa Medical Services engage, promote and train staff on the basis of their capabilities, qualifications and experience, without discrimination, giving all employees an equal opportunity to progress within the company.
Visa Medical Services is committed to the principles and practice of equality and values the diversity of the local population. We want our services, facilities and resources to be accessible and useful to every citizen regardless of gender, age, ethnic origin, religious belief, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or any other individual characteristic which may unfairly affect a person’s opportunities in life.
We are committed to:
- promoting equality of opportunity for all persons
- promoting a good and harmonious learning environment in which all men and women are treated with respect and dignity and in which no form of intimidation or harassment is tolerated
- preventing occurrences of unlawful direct discrimination, indirect discrimination, harassment and victimisation
- fulfilling all our legal obligations under the equality legislation and associated codes of practice
- complying with our own equal opportunities policy and associated policies
- taking lawful affirmative or positive action, where appropriate
- breaches of our equal opportunities policy will be regarded as misconduct and could lead to termination of membership
The company directors have specific responsibility for the effective implementation of this policy. We expect all employees to abide by the policy and help to create the equality environment which is its objective.
In order to implement this policy, we shall:
- Communicate the policy to new employees during induction training.
- Endeavour through appropriate training to ensure that it will not consciously or unconsciously discriminate in the selection or recruitment of applicants for employment with the company
- Incorporate specific and appropriate duties in respect of implementing the equal opportunities policy into roles and responsibilities of employees
- Incorporate equal opportunities notices into general communications practices e.g. announcements, notices and newsletters
- Ensure that adequate resources are made available to fulfil the objectives of the policy
Monitoring and review
We will establish appropriate information and monitoring systems to assist the effective implementation of our equal opportunities policy. The effectiveness of the equal opportunities policy will be reviewed regularly (at least annually) and action taken as necessary.
Employees who believe that they have suffered any form of discrimination, harassment or victimisation are entitled to raise the matter through the agreed procedures. All complaints of discrimination will be dealt with seriously, promptly and confidentially.
Every effort will be made to ensure that employees who make complaints will not be victimised. Any complaint of victimisation will be dealt with seriously, promptly and confidentially. Victimisation will result in disciplinary action and may warrant dismissal.
Complaints from members of the public will be dealt with under agreed procedures.